Thursday, September 17, 2009

sauteed zucchini for Jenny

This is one of my favorite things to do with zucchini and other summer squash. Super easy, super yummy.

****
Heat oil in pan to low medium (I use olive oil for this even though I *KNOW* not to cook with olive oil. I just think it's a great flavor with the zucchini, so I cook on low heat.)

Add:
onion, chopped
garlic, minced
dash of salt
(could also throw in celery, bell pepper, etc. but it's not necessary)

You're going to sweat the onions, which means cook over low heat until they give up some moisture and turn translucent.

Then add:
half moons of zucchini (slice in half the long way, then chop)

Saute until the taste is good of the zucchini - the cooking sweetens it and changes its texture. I like it only cooked for a few minutes, so it's still firm to bite but is all glossy.

You can add a dash of soy sauce or such things but it's not necessary. The squash has a great flavor all its own, enhanced with the onion and garlic.

***
I don't give quantities because I just use whatever I have on hand. I would say for two medium zucchini I'd use half a small onion and 2 cloves of garlic, but I'm totally guessing.

This is great with meat and salad and/or with rice or pilaf or all on its own. It's very low maintenance (cooking on low heat, you don't have to stir much - I just put the lid on and do other things) so you can prepare other things simultaneously.

You can also add a chopped tomato for a different yet also very satisfying dish.

1 comment: