Saturday, September 12, 2009

London broil

I always have a dickens of a time figuring out how/what to marinade London broil (which is usually top round; I buy when on sale at Whole Foods).

So, here's the marinade I usually assemble. (I don't like to use red wine because I think that overpowers the meat.)

For about 1# of meat, I used approximately the following:

*1/3 c soy sauce
*2 T sesame oil
*3-8 cloves garlic (depending on size)
*onion - green, white, sweet, red - whatever! (the dehydrated are a good money saver)
*ginger - about 1-2" piece, peeled
*pepper - a bunch of fresh ground (maybe 20 turns) - no need for salt b/c of soy sauce
*honey or brown sugar or maple syrup - less than 1T (I don't like my meat really sweet)
*(citrus zest if you want)

Whirl all that together in a food processor/blender (I let it sit with the dehydrated onions for 5 minutes or so and then whirl). (Or, can chop everything finely and stir it all together.)

Then add:
*3 bay leaves

And leave to marinade at least a few hours and preferably overnight. (I put in a glass dish that fits the meat well, covering it with marinade. Can also use a ziploc-style bag.)

Then cook on grill ... depending on thickness. For about 2" thick, I'll try 7 minutes on each side over medium heat.

When you take it off the grill THIS IS IMPORTANT - don't cut into it right away. Put some foil over it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. (If you cut into it right away, all the juices flow out and it's dry.)

Then cut thinly against the grain (making the tough fibers very short) and serve.

London broil is great with salad, vegetables, rice ...

No comments:

Post a Comment