Monday, December 14, 2009

roasted chicken & vegetables

Oh, YUM! The chicken was sooo moist and juicy and the vegetables fantastic as well.

***
Prep vegetables. This is the mixture I used but it could totally be altered:

*10 small potatoes, de-eyed and chopped in half
*3 carrots, chopped in rounds
*1/3 head cauliflower, in florets
*1/2 onion in big chunks
(sweet potatoes would be good, but I wouldn't recommend beets unless you want pink chicken)

I tossed all that with about 1 T of olive oil and a dash of cumin & salt & pepper. Lay it out in a 9x13 pan (or equivalent).

On top of that put a washed chicken. I put it breast side up first. Rub about 2 T kosher salt and some pepper into the skin with 2 T or so of olive oil. I also rubbed some garlic and then threw the cloves in the body cavity.

Lay the chicken on top and bake at 425 for 45 minutes.

At that time, mix up the vegetables and pour the chicken juices from the cavity onto the vegetables. Put the chicken its other side and bake another 30 or so minutes at 350 degrees - you want the temperature in the chicken to be about 170 degrees (use a thermometer).

Let it sit about 15 minutes before carving and then enjoy - and shock and awe your friends! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I just found your blog and you just might get me excited about eating again. I do love simple recipes that let the taste of fresh food stand on its own, and doesn't work me to death. Alas, I'm in Florida instead of New Orleans so I might have to look harder for fresh stuff but not as hard as if I were in, say, Ohio. At least it's growing season down here now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! Are you anywhere near a farmers market? I swear those places are magic. I moved here shortly after Katrina and things were rough and there was a real scarcity of quality food - but more choices now!

    Stay tuned because I'm going back to the market tomorrow for fennel bulbs (the fellow told me he'd try to return) and I've just been digging around for a good recipe and think I found one! Or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete