from here ... so good!!
- 4-6 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (or so) cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 - 1 large (sweet) onion, chopped (needn't be sweet)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar into the sweet potatoes and onion, coating well.
- Bake beets 15-30 minutes in the preheated oven (20 minutes was insufficient). Mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet. Continue baking 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
This is super yummy and really hit the spot. The trick is to get fresh, local produce and let it stand on its own.
By the time the beets were no longer too crunchy, the sweet potatoes were too soft - so I'd cook the beets longer alone or chop even smaller.
Also, I cooked this in an oven that was 425 for 1/2 hour and then 350 degrees - I don't think temperature really matters and you can roast them at any temperature.