*about 30 rolls
- 2 1/2 cups water or milk (I use whey or potato water)
- 1 cup oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey (or so)
- 2 packages (or Tablespoons) active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2+ cups white flour (as needed)
- BRING water, butter, and honey to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, add oats; let cool to 110 degrees (or more like 120 degrees if it's 55 degrees in your kitchen like mine).
- STIR together yeast, wheat flour, salt.
- BEAT oat mixture into dry (can use electric mixer or wooden spoon) until smooth. Add white flour until it's the right consistency.
- TURN dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 10-15 minutes). Place in bowl and cover with towel.
- COVER and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk. (I put in gas oven - pilot keeps it warm)
- PUNCH dough down, and divide in half; shape each portion into 15 (1 1/2-inch) balls. Place evenly into 2 lightly greased cake pans or cookie sheets.
- COVER and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- BAKE at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.