Saturday, September 29, 2018

tasty turkey pasta

Shortly after I moved here, I saw turkeys on sale for a very good price so I got one.  Served dinner to a friend who'd helped me move, stripped meat and froze it in portions, and made gallons of stock.  Such a win!

So now I'm trying to get through the portion of meat (to justify cooking a chicken I recently bought) and looked up a lot of turkey recipes.  I had turkey tetrazzini on the mind but I don't really eat cheese now and I'm not interested in using canned soups and I wanted to use what I had on hand.

So this came up which I made some changes to and ended up with a very nice turkey pasta dish.  It took longer than I expected but I think it'll be easier and quicker next time (use the right pans, for one thing; cast iron for this was rough because it's so heavy).



Turkey Noodle Casserole

Ingredients
  • chopped cooked turkey (I usually freeze in baggies of about 2 cups)
  • 6 ounces egg noodles (half of a package)
  • 1 T butter
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (I used crimini as they were on sale)
  • 2 T flour
  • 1 c broth/stock
  • 1 c milk/half and half (I mixed them)
  • 1 c frozen pease
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1tsp pepper 
  • red pepper flakes to taste
  • 2 T breadcrumbs (I used panko)
  • 1 t smoked paprika
Directions

Cook noodles, set aside.

In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter.  Add mushrooms and cook for 7-10 minutes.

Add flour, stir vigorously for two minutes. 

Slowly whisk in broth and milk until well-combined (to create a roux).  Bring to a boil to thicken sauce, cook for two minutes.

Add frozen peas, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.  Cook for a few minutes; add in turkey and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from heat, add noodles.  Put into well-greased casserole and put breadcrumbs and paprika on top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment