Saturday, September 15, 2018

yogurt struggles

I am having the worst luck with yogurt since moving to Alaska, so I want to keep notes here until I figure it all out.

I got some very healthy heirloom starter in April or so and was pretty good about it, but then I had to study for a big exam and move 5,000 miles and it got neglected.  In July I made a batch and transported starter in a cooler; in August I made a batch and it was fine and I dried some, and that's what I'm trying to use now.

I reconstituted dried bits and sometimes the yogurt works, though it's still clumpy and grainy.  The best luck I've had is with Darigold whole milk in a thermos when the milk is 115 degrees when mixed and put in thermos.

Last time I did that, I got good yogurt (though still kinda grainy, which I think will work it self out and I can blend for smoothness).  But last night I did it and when I opened the thermos it appeared runny (now into the fridge and we'll see).

Sigh.

***
9/28 -

Last weekend I did a batch of 4 pints in a cooler that I have.  It's hard to keep the water around 110-115 because it's 60 degrees in my house; I need to figure out something to put on top of the jars to keep the heat in better.  I kept it for about 8 hours and then refrigerated it after it set out an hour or so; while still soft, it was less grainy and more yogurty.

So I'm doing it again.  Fingers crossed.  Milk cooled to 115 degrees then jarred; cooler as high as 120 because it's dissipating so quickly.

I am hoping to get the starter going stronger and then being able to use the instant pot.

This worked pretty well.  Nice sweet mellow flavor and yogurt-y texture if a bit soft.

9/29
Tried Instant Pot again; 2 tsp for 2 quarts.  FAIL.  AFter 8 hours there was hardly any texture change to yogurt so I put it in the fridge; not much happened there either, so after a couple of hours I added another T of starter and put it back into the IP for another 8 hours.  Still failed.  Oh well.

9/30
INstant Pot again; 2 Tbsp for 2 quarts.  In for 11 hours; some yogurt texture if still soft and a lot of whey, but jarred it up and we'll see in the morning.  Nope.  IP is a fail no matter what I seem to try, and it makes no sense because the temperature seems right and it works for everyone else.

10/6
Back to the cooler, 6 pints.  Put into jars when at 118 (kitchen temperature is about 60, so it loses heat quickly).  Cooler water at about 125.  I put on top two milk containers with water around 130, to hopefully cause less heat loss.  I plan to keep it in for about ten hours and check the temperature of the cooler every two to three hours to add hot water if necessary. 
This worked very well.  I only had to add hot water once midway.  The yogurt was great at ten hours - solid-ish.  The only issue now is that it's still clumpy.  I can whisk it smooth and it's fine, but I'd like to figure out what's going on with the clumps.

So happy I'm not wasting milk anymore!  (NOt that I ever wasted it of course - it becomes bread, I shared with a friend who uses it in smoothies, etc.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment