Friday, September 28, 2018

halibut chowder

This recipe for halibut chowder I took from here, making some modifications.  Very tasty!  I think my burner went out, so I was struggling with heating properly, but it still worked ok.  Since I'd never made a chowder before, I figured I should follow the directions.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 large carrots, shredded 
  • 1 cup half and half
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1pound halibut, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste

Directions

  1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add the potatoes and garlic, and continue cooking until the potatoes have softened slightly, about 10 minutes.
  3. Pour in the chicken stock and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. 
  4. Add the milk/cream, season to taste with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes, then stir in the halibut. Continue simmering uncovered until the halibut is flaky and no longer translucent in the center, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment