Sunday, July 21, 2019

savory cabbage pancakes

I love cabbage.  I eat it so many different ways and I am always happy because it's such a fantastic vegetable.  While I've had some misses with other foods, things I've made that I didn't really want to finish up, I can't think of a single time that has happened to me with cabbage. 

I got a beautiful head of locally grown cabbage yesterday which meant I needed to use up the old cabbage in my crisper drawer.  Because one of the things that I love about cabbage is that I can store it for a long time - use half for something and then wait even weeks to use up the other half.

I've been eating zucchini and scrambled eggs for breakfast and I'm liking starting my day with vegetables, so I was thinking of some kind of cabbage pancake when I came across this from Budget Bytes.

Oh. My. Goodness.  These aren't just good, they are FANTASTIC.  My only regret is that the sriracha mayo is so tasty that I want it, but it's so spicy that it sort of masks some of the other flavors.

I just followed the recipe as it is, so I'll just copy it. (Usually I make some changes based on what I have in my fridge and cupboard, but this was just straightforward and SO GOOD.)  I may sometime do some more research to find more authentic recipes.

Savory Cabbage Pancakes (Okonomiyaki-influenced)

Ingredients
2 extra large eggs
1/2 cup water
1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
4-5 cups shredded green cabbage
1 carrot
3 green onions
2 Tbsp oil for frying

Toppings
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sriracha
1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 green onions

Instructions

  • Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Thinly slice or shred half of the cabbage, or until you have 4-5 cups shredded cabbage. Peel the carrot and shred it using a large-holed cheese grater. Slice the green onions.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil until smooth. Begin whisking in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until it forms a thick, smooth batter (about 3/4 to1 cup total flour).
  • Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion to the batter and stir until the vegetables are mixed and everything is evenly coated in batter.
  • Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 3/4 cup of the vegetable and batter mixture. Press it down into the hot skillet to form a circle, about 6 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Place a cover on the skillet to hold in the steam, which will help the cabbage soften as it cooks. Cook the pancake until golden brown on the bottom (3-5 minutes), then flip and cook until golden brown on the second side. Pile the cooked pancakes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until ready to eat. Add more oil to the skillet as needed as you cook the pancakes.
  • To prepare the sriracha mayo, mix together 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 2 Tbsp sriracha in a small bowl. Drizzle the sriracha mayo over the pancakes just before serving, followed with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onion.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment