Sunday, July 7, 2019

salmonberry jelly

I used Pomona Pectin* for this salmonberry jelly, as it always works well. I picked about three gallons of fruit (approximately - it was about three Folgers containers full) and got about 5 cups of juice, with 5 jelly jars and a bit extra to taste.

After mashing and straining the salmonberries, the ratios are

For every 1 cup of juice:
-1 tsp calcium water mixed in
-1/4 c. sugar (because salmonberries are pretty milk flavored, I think honey - which I usually use with Pomona - would overpower their taste)
-1 tsp pectin mixed into sugar

Makes about 1 jelly jar per cup of juice.

Process:

I'm told freezing the berries works to get the most juice out, which makes sense.  Thaw and then I also heat it up a bit.  Mash with potato masher, put through strainer.  I don't care about having crystal clear jelly so I don't use cheesecloth to strain finely.

Measure the juice and add calcium water.  (Start the lids simmering and the jars sterilizing - you'll want them hot since the jelly will be hot.)

Measure the sugar in a bowl and add the pectin, mix it up.

Bring the juice and calcium water to a full boil. Then add the sugar-pectin and stir it vigorously 1-2 minutes and bring it back to a full boil. 

Fill jars, 1/4" headspace.  Wipe rims cle, screw on lins, Put jars into boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Note that because this is low-sugar, once opened it won't last as long as high-sugar.  Should be used up within three weeks or so. 


*Note:  I always use Pomona Pectin.  I love that it doesn't require sugar, so I can use a little honey or anything else I want.  It has almost always set up for me (sometimes takes a couple of days), and the one time I thought it didn't I called their jamming hotline and the person had a long, super helpful conversation with me.  I love supporting the sort of company that does that - especially because the quality is so good and i can not use sugar.  Highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment