Sunday, July 7, 2019

canning milk

Edit:  standard procedure - into room temperature jars and tap water in canner, pour cold milk with significant headroom (just under 1").  Put into pressure canner to heat up, vent for 10 minutes, then turn off and let cool. (I put it in for 1 minute.)

***
 
 Now that I can't have much dairy, it can be hard to get through a container of milk before it goes bad.  But, I really like to keep it on-hand for baking and such.  And I'm a stickler for humanely raised dairy, etc. which is SUPER expensive so I like to stock up when on sale (which usually happens when it's about to go bad). I do now have a local source of goat milk, but it's ... goaty.  So will use sparingly.  (It made some nice chevre, but the yogurt didn't work.  Will try once more with yogurt.) 

When I was at the store recently I picked up two half-gallons of milk because they were buy one get one free and I thought I saw that they were both "sell by" in a month, so I thought I could make yogurt later (I do still make it, just much less than before).  But I got home and saw one is sell by this week.  And because it's ultrapasteurized as most milk is here, I knew it could last awhile, but ... I didn't want the waste of it turning.  And I could freeze, but my freezer is already full. 

So, I decided to can it.  USDA doesn't sanction this, but loads of people do it without ill effect.  Also, the milk is likely to spoil but not botulism, so I will be able to detect it's gone bad if it does. 

I canned 2% and apparently that's better than whole for quality sake.  I have an electric canner and I couldn't find directions for this, so out of an abundance of caution, I went with 10 minutes.

I used cold milk in room temperature jars; water in canner from tap.  I did about 1/2"-3/4" headspace and there was some overflow.  Put it in canner on high, set timer for 10 minutes, making sure good steam flow before closing vent.  

I used Tattler lids which are cheap because reusable, but also more prone to failure for me at least, so we'll see if there was full seal. The jars look good, not too much flowed out.  I did three pints and two jelly jars which look to be about 12 oz. each (more than half gallon, to use up the milk already on hand). 

I'll plan to use them up in the next few months and will report back here about quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment