Saturday, June 15, 2019

canning rhubarb in quart jars

My neighbor was giving me more rhubarb than I could use, but then I realized I could can up a few quart jars and have it on the ready to make into a crumble for an inexpensive potluck dessert.  Local foods year-round!

Here's an easy way that I found in a Facebook group (Rebel Canners):

"Chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar per jar
(1 tsp lemon juice per jar - OP included this, but my understanding is that rhubarb is acidic enough to not require this but it can help retain color)

Fill with water to appropriate headspace and WB can, I do 20 mins out of habit

When you want to make the pie filling drain the liquid into a saucepan with 3 tsp cornstarch and heat until thick. Fold in rhubarb and then into your pie shell, crumble, etc.... doing it this way also saves it for later use of you want to make other things with rhubarb like jam, butter, bbq sauce, etc."

No comments:

Post a Comment