Saturday, September 26, 2026

whole wheat pitas

Since Trader Joe's stopped carrying the good whole wheat pitas (and replaced them with sugar-added, undercooked, higher calories, weird overly soft texture yuckness), I'm going to start making my own.  They are just so great for breakfast especially - a good fiber boost to the day, which I usually fill (or fold over, actually) with tuna or lentils.  

Here's the recipe I'm trying today.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup warm (105-115) water
  • 2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1/2-1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp olive oil 
  • 1-1.5 tsp salt  
  • 2 cup whole wheat flour + more as necessary

Activate yeast in water with sugar, let foam for 5-10 minutes.

Add other ingredients, stir in.  Knead lightly, add more flour as necessary.

Set aside covered for 2 hours.

Divide into 9 balls.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees with pan(s) in oven.  Roll balls out 1/2" thick, 3-4" wide.  

Bake on preheated pan for 12 minutes, flipping once halfway.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment