Sunday, June 30, 2024

zucchini muffins

 Last year when I had too much zucchini, I shredded and froze it.  Trying to empty out last year's crops I decided to make these zucchini muffins. They're pretty tasty and used up some other things I had on hand and needed to use up.  I double batched them and will freeze most, for a healthy-ish snack. 

Ingredients 

  • ¾ cup roughly chopped raw walnuts or pecans or hazelnuts
  • ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or other oil
  • ½ cup honey or maple syrup (or 1/4 cup)
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅔ cup buttermilk (or ⅔ cup milk of choice mixed with 2 teaspoons vinegar, allow to rest for 5 minutes before using) - I used mostly yogurt topped up with milk (161 grams)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour (228 grams of Amarillo whole wheat flour) 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 ½ cups grated zucchini (squeeze out extra moisture) (190 grams) 

Instructions

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Chop and toast nuts for 4-5 minutes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil and honey; add eggs.  Then add milk and vanilla. 

In a larger bowl combine flour, spices, leavening.  Add in the liquid ingredients just until mixed (do not overmix), then add in the zucchini and nuts.

Bake 16-19 minutes.  

Makes 12 muffins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment