Tuesday, August 30, 2022

pickled okra

 Years ago I made an amazing pickled okra but I apparently did not record the recipe. 

So here goes.

This is what I did today, and I can adjust accordingly.

Sterilize jars in boiling water bath.  Warm lids.  

Make brine:

- 2 cups white vinegar

- 2 cups filtered water

- 1 T. salt

Heat it up for salt to dissolve.

Clean okra and trim caps (but not all the way).

Into each jar (pint size or somewhat larger*):

- 1 tsp mustard seed (scant)

- 1 tsp dill seed (scant)

- 1 tsp peppercords (heaping)

- 1 garlic clove

Fill with okra, pour in the brine to 1/4".  Put on lids.

Process in hot water bath** for 10 minutes.

Let them brine for three weeks or so before opening.  Shelf stable though I refrigerate after opening.


*I reused some jars a neighbor gave me, probably about 24 oz, that had grape leaves in them and were nice and round.

**The jars were too tall so I processed on low in canner for 10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment