Sunday, December 13, 2020

buckwheat

 I first had buckwheat decades ago when I lived in Russia.  I was never able to recreate what I had there that I liked so much, and now the memory is gone.  But buckwheat is still a great thing and I've stocked up. 

I like it in granola and it adds a special crunch.  I replace about 1/4 of the oats with buckwheat for a ratio I like.

Kasha varnishkes are awesome (just posted the recipe).  Leftovers are great for breakfast and it would make a great frittata. Good for potlucks?  As always I'm grateful for Jewish foods.

I want to try this interesting buckwheat-rice-arugula-hazelnut-dried cherries salad at some point: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/buckwheat-and-rice-salad-with-dried-cherries-and-hazelnuts. 

At some point I'll probably want to make soba noodles.  Midnight Diner (Japanese show on Netflix) has inspired me.

I'll grind it into flour for other purposes as well, such as pancakes and quick breads.  And blini, another favorite Russian memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment