Saturday, April 6, 2019

sourdough cornbread

This sourdough cornbread definitely has a sour tang to it.  At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but my coworkers were so crazy about it that I reconsidered and now I quite like it.  Plus, I usually have sourdough discard in my fridge to use up, so this is a win-win.  It stays moist longer than many cornbreads, and it freezes well.

From here.

Ingredients

  • 1 12 cups cornmeal (225 grams)
  • 1 12 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 12 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 12 cups sourdough starter (345 grams @ 230 per cup)
  • 1 12 teaspoons cream of tartar (or 3 tsp vinegar)
  • 1 12 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

  1. Grease up a well seasoned, 9 or 10 inch iron skillet and place in oven while it preheats.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  3. Combine the cornmeal, sugar and salt in medium bowl.
  4. Scald milk and pour over cornmeal mixture.
  5. When mixture is room temperature, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
  6. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment