Sunday, March 17, 2019

Elly's whole wheat sourdough - 1 loaf

Here's another try at whole wheat sourdough, and she mills her wheat herself.  I did it as she suggests but it makes a long day because my house is cold (I put it in the oven too soon because I didn't want to stay up too late). Elly's Facebook group is here, with lots of other good information.

Morning before baking: extended cold autolyse.
  • 450 grams whole wheat flour (about 3 cups)
  • 405 grams filtered water*

Mix until no water left.  Cover and put in the refrigerator all day (about 12 hours).

In the evening of day 1, add:
  • 130 grams active starter
  • 9 grams salt

Mix it up well. 

Cover and leave to bulk ferment.  I have a spot in the corner above the heater, where the temperature is usually around 62 degrees.  Leave it about 10-12 hours, until rising and bubbly but not bubbles on top.

Morning of day 2
Shape the dough.  Elly has in her video a method of using stretch and fold for this.  Do it four times over an hour.  Use wet hands.

When ready for final shaping, prepare basket (I use a colander with parchment paper, that I can just move easily to the heated pan).  Shape and put it in container, leave for 1-3 hours.  (I put it in the folding proofer at 85 degrees for 1.5 hours and I think it needed more time.)  

When almost ready (indentations slowly fill in), heat oven up to about 475 degrees (or 450 convection, I use).  Bake 25 minutes in a hot covered dutch oven, then 15 minutes more uncovered. 

Let it cool several hours for best texture.

(I haven't tasted it yet, but the oven spring is promising.)





*I no longer have my Berkey water filter with me, and the tap water is quite chlorinated.  Filtered water in the store is very expensive.  There is fortunately an artesian well just outside town, but when there is any snow/ice on the ground it involves quite a production as they keep the gates to the area closed.  I borrowed a wheelbarrow from work, drove out there, and schlepped the half mile or more to the well, filled up two bottles, and schlepped back.  It was actually fine this time; the last time I tried it with four bottles and the road was very slippery and slushy, and it was pretty awful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment