Sunday, February 10, 2019

sourdough dog treats

What to do when you've got sourdough "discard"?

Well, my dog is obsessed with all things fermented.  She would run through the Valley of Death to get to a sourdough pancake, so I figured sourdough treats would be a good high-reward treat for her.  PLus, my friend read the ingredients out loud to the Trader Joe's "Peanut Butter" dog treats, and there wasn't a lick of peanut butter in them.  Time to start making my own.

The recipe is from here, which I follow pretty closely.  I just got a pizza cutter to help make the cutting easier.  The recipe is really for big bone-shapped treats, but I get the most usage when I cut them into tiny treats.  If I cook them thoroughly enough and let them dry, they're countertop stable for a couple of weeks at least (though I tend to freeze the bulk and pull them out as necessary).  My dog loves them and they are high value, so it's a win-win.  They are rich, so she doesn't get very much at a time.  They're made from ingredients that I often have on-hand and need to use up.  It's a winning recipe!

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs (or 1/2 c. yogurt)
  • 12 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 14 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons oil or fat (I am currently using some beef tallow; will also use lard and bacon drippings)
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2 12 cups whole wheat flour (approximately 450 grams - when I look up weight for whole wheat flour, answers are all over the place.  Bob's Red Mill says theirs is 152 grams per cup)

Directions

  1. Combine the first 5 ingredients.
  2. Add the oats and as much of the flour as you can until the dough is too hard to mix.
  3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead in the remaining flour.
  4. Dough should be stiff, but not crumbly.
  5. Roll out dough about 1/2-inch thick and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters, or for a quicker version just cut 1/2-inch wide strips with a pizza cutter or knife, and then cut strips to 2-inch lengths.
  6. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 325°F for 20 minutes.
  7. Turn biscuits over and bake another 20 minutes.
  8. Turn off oven and open door so it's ajar to let out excess heat for a few minutes and then close door and leave biscuits in oven until all the heat is gone.
  9. If there is still moisture in the biscuits, let them air-dry until they are completely hard and crisp before storing.
*****
I vary this a lot based on what I have on hand.  Today I mixed it in food processor.

Ingredients:
-salmon (1 half pint jar plus skin & juice from a pint)
-2 eggs
-1 cup oats
-1 tsp. bacon drippings
-1 cup red lentils, ground into flour
-1 1/2 or so cup whole wheat, ground into flour

Followed baking directions above.  I think I'll take some to share with coworkers' dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment