Sunday, February 3, 2019

fermented butternut squash

I used this recipe for some butternut squash.  Hopefully I'll be able to report back here that it goes well!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash
  • 1 tablespoon salt, dissolved into 2 cups of room temperature, filtered water (I used a locally made blueberry salt)
How-To
  1. Peel the raw squash. Leave a small section of squash unpeeled so that you can include it at the top of your ferment (see above).  Peeling hard squash is a pain in the ass, so please be careful not to get impatient and slice off a finger.  I normally peel squash by roasting it for a few minutes and then peeling, but you do not want to heat your squash in this instance.
  2. Cut the peeled squash into pieces.  My favorite of the 3 sizes I’ve tried was thin strips.  I made them with the mandoline last time and they’re great! You can cut them that way or into chunks or strips or whatever you like best. Cutting the pieces with peel on them into different sized/shaped pieces will help you find and remove them after fermentation.  (I made them into fairly thin chunks.)
  3. Place peeled, chopped squash into a one quart vessel. Add the unpeeled pieces of squash to the top and pour brine over the whole shebang.
  4. Submerge the squash using the cheapo jar method, pickle weights or your preferred method and cover it.
  5. After five to ten days of fermentation, your squash will be ready. remove any weights, put the proper lid on the jar and store in the fridge. They won’t last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment