Friday, February 22, 2019

fermented cauliflower and carrots with garlic

I used to love oven-roasted vegetables, and cauliflower was one of my key favorites especially when heavily laden with cumin.  So, I buy it, but then I don't always get around to the roasting these days. 

I started to wonder how it is fermented and stumbled upon this recipe. It's been on my counter for six days and I just tried it and it is SO GOOD.  Excellent texture and super garlicky taste.  I'll let it finish up today and then I'll refrigerate it. 

I crammed the vegetables in pretty tight especially around the top, covered with brine, and then put a lid on it which I "burped" regularly (and asked the dogsitter to as well).  It worked great!

Ingredients:

  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed, but still intact
  • 3 cups cauliflower florets, rinsed in cold water
  • 3 large carrots, cut into thin sticks
  • 2 Tbsp. sea salt
  • 1 quart filtered water

Instructions:

  1. Place the crushed garlic in the bottom of a clean quart jar. Follow with layers of cauliflower and carrots, making sure there is an even mixture of both inside the jar.
  2. Dissolve sea salt in water. Fill up the remaining space in the jar with the salt solution. Use a wooden or plastic utensil to release any air bubbles trapped along the sides of the jar.
  3. If necessary, weigh the vegetables down under the brine.
  4. Cover each jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
  5. Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
  6. Once the vegetables are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop.


No comments:

Post a Comment