- 4 cups (2 pints) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup good honey (or less)
- 1 orange, zest grated
- 1/2 to 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Orange, orange zest, raisins and walnuts, for garnish (optional)
Line a sieve with cheesecloth or paper towels (or a tea towel) and suspend it over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the sieve and allow it to drain, refrigerated, for 3 hours or overnight.
Place the thickened yogurt into a medium bowl and stir in the raisins, walnuts, vanilla, honey, and orange zest. Thin with orange juice until it is a desirable consistency. Garnish with sections of orange, orange zest, raisins, or walnuts and serve.
Truth: This stuff is like crack to me. It tastes like a creamsicle or an Orange Julius but without all that nasty chemical aftertaste. It is SO GOOD. I will not ever be taking it to a brunch because it would disappear long before I could get to my destination. Maybe it wouldn't be so magical without the blood orange, but DANG it's good now.