Saturday, July 9, 2022

okra stew with chicken and sausage

 I won't call this gumbo because the sausage isn't andouille and I don't ever make a roux, but it is super super good and I got to use up things in fridge and freezer.  

Ingredients

  • 2 links sausage (always great with andouille but I had Polish sausage to use up), sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped fine
  • 2 stalks celery (I didn't have it but it is always good)
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • okra (I've been saving it all week as my plants are starting to produce; it was maybe 3/4#?), chopped (and/or small pods); slice with sharp knife to avoid sliminess
  • splash apple cider vinegar if needed
  • chicken (maybe 1 c.? I strip from rotisserie chicken and freeze in baggies)
  • 2 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tsp Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tsp file powder

Process

1. In pot over medium heat with oil, brown sausage.

2. Add onions, pepper, and celery and cook until lightly browned/onion translucent.

3.  Add garlic and cook a couple of minutes, stirring.

4.  Put this mixture in a bowl.  Add more oil to pan, heat.

5.  Cook okra about 5-7 minutes until with brown spots.  If it's slimy at all, add some ACV.

6.  Add back in the sausage mixture.  

7.  Add 2 cups chicken stock, heat.

8.  Add in the chopped chicken.  

9.  Add in the Tony Chachere's.

10.  Bring to low boil and let simmer covered for about 15 minutes.  

11.  Add in the file powder, stir, and taste.  

Eat with rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment