Sunday, August 22, 2021

elderberry juice concentrate

 It's elderberry season!  I collected a couple of tubs worth, cleaning some right away and washing others and freezing them to clean.  I was told it was easier to process the berries if they were frozen but honestly I found it more difficult to pick the stems clean.  If I can process fresh, it's easiest for me.  

As I processed them, I frozen them.  Today I took out a gallon bag and a quart bag or two.  Put into a big pot on low heat to thaw the berries; then I turned up the heat and brought it to boil, reduced heat to a simmer for at least 10 minutes.  

While this was happening, I prepared jars and lids.  

I strained the juice through a sieve and then put into jars.  I added about 1 tsp. of lemon jice to each 8 oz jar.  Then I water bathed the jars for 10 minutes.  From this batch I got two 8 oz jars and four 4 oz jars.  

I'll use this juice concentrate when I or friends are ill; I will add it to an oxymel or add 1 tsp to tea or water to drink as juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment