Friday, November 27, 2020

sweet potatoes in tomato sauce with chickpeas and brown rice

 The other day I made tchieboudjenne, and .... it wasn't nearly as good as I remember from Senegal (not surprising).  But my favorite part was the big chunks of white sweet potato that had cooked in the tomato sauce that the broken rice was then also cooked in. So I'll try to recapture that, changing rice to brown and adding garbanzos.  Not sure the best time to add them so will try this way. 

  • 2 white sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into large chunks
  • 1/3 c oil
  • Onion, sliced thinly
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • scotch bonnet pepper or similar hot flavorful pepper
  • small can tomato paste
  • bouillon, salt, pepper
  • garbanzos, 1 jar
  • 1 c brown rice 

Heat oil and slowly cook onions.  When onions are translucent, add the tomato paste and cook about five minutes (stirring to avoid burning). Grind together in mortar garlic and pepper* and add; cook for a couple minutes.  Add bouillon and pepper (and salt).  Add 4 cups water, bring to simmer. 

Add in the sweet potato chunks and cook until tender, then use slotted spoon to remove and set aside.  

Add rice to tomato mixture, lower heat and simmer covered to cook about 45 minutes.  

Stir in a can of garbanzos and let sit for about ten minutes.  Eat with chunks of sweet potatoes.





*I don't have a mortar/pestle and I don't want to go to the grocery store, so I'm going to use a food processor to very finely chop up the garlic cloves and 1/2 bell pepper I have in fridge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment