Sunday, November 8, 2020

AA's oatmeal bread

This recipe is from the aunt of a childhood friend, and we used to eat this bread in her mother's funky house with butter and homemade jam slathered atop.   Usually I only make sourdough these days but I was feeling a little nostalgic for this fall apart good bread, and I have work calls every morning which is making the sourdough process difficult.  Plus it's good to see that I don't lose my yeast bread skills. :)

Heat (not to boiling):

  • 2 cups liquid (originally all water, but I like it 1 c water, 1 c milk - next time I'll use up powdered milk)
  • 1-2 T honey (she called for 1/2 c)
  • 2 T butter 

Mix in a bowl:

  • 1 c oats
  • 1 T salt

Add warm liquid to oats and let set about 1/2 hour.

Proof yeast: 2 T (packages) yeast in 1/3 c. water w/dash of sugar

Add yeast water to oats when at appropriate temperature.  

Add flour until kneadable (4-5 cups, so about 240 g. wheat ground, then white bread or all-purpose flour).

Knead, let rise, punch down and shape into two loaves, let rise again.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40ish minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment