Sunday, October 21, 2012

kale & white bean soup

Kale & White Bean Soup in a slowcooker

I never really understand my cravings, but when it's for dark leafy greens I don't argue.  This turned out really good probably due to homemade chicken stock and just enough sausage to flavor.  

Saute:
*1 onion, chopped
*1 rib celery, chopped (or celery seed)
*2 links of chicken sausage, chopped (Note to self: skip the sausage)
(green pepper to make it the trinity)

Then add:
*3 cloves garlic, minced

When they smell lovely, put into a slowcooker..

Add:
*2 cans white beans
*1 bunch kale, with the ribs removed, chopped (I used lacinato because it's pretty)
*4 c chicken stock (preferably homemade of course) (I've been using the Better than Bouillon vegetable lately and it tastes great though not so sure about all the ingredients)
*bay leaf
*black pepper
*optional: a Parmesan rind

Turn slow cooker on high, stir up, and let it cook for a few hours to meld the flavors.  
If not using a slowcooker, simmer until kale is at desirable consistency (depends on the type of kale), about 30-45 minutes. 


(Note: Homemade stock is so easy.  Whenever I get a rotisserie chicken, I save the carcass and freeze it if I don't want to deal with it.  Then when I have the vegetables on hand, I throw it in a slowcooker with onions, carrots, and celery.  It's fine if the carcass is still frozen.  Then I cover with water, add some bay leaves, and let it cook on low all day.  Let it cool down, then pour through a colander.  I don't need a clear broth so I take it like that and freeze in 4 cup portions for using later.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment