Thursday, July 23, 2009

red lentil soup

This is from here, and one of my very favorite staples. I make it often, usually from homemade stock I freeze. Tastes much more sophisticated than the simplicity of its manufacture! Unfortunately the red lentils lose their pretty color in the cooking, the flavor makes up for it!

Saute:
1/2 - 1 onion
2 or so cloves of garlic
(1 carrot diced small; I haven't put this in but I think it would be good)
(also a chili pepper would be quite nice)

Add 1 c red lentils to toast a bit.

Add 4 c stock.

Cook about half an hour, until lentils are soft.

Add
2 T lemon juice (I freeze in ice cube trays: each cube is 2 T)
1 tsp+ cumin (or ras el hanout or another spice/mixture, but cumin is splendid)
salt and pepper to taste (more if it's homemade stock and not bouillon with all those horrible additives)

***
Very good with hummus and pita, or Gail's chong yow bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment