Sunday, February 20, 2022

healthy banana muffins

 This recipe for healthy banana muffins taken from here.  They hit the spot, though I wish I'd used all whole wheat flour (or maybe some buckwheat) instead of the half-half with white flour (since I didn't have white whole wheat).  Or added oat bran or something like that - I just wanted a little grittier texture, I guess.  I also liked that this was a straightforward one-bowl recipe, not requiring a lot of fuss or cleanup, and while I don't usually have three overripe bananas on hand, I do always have the other things.  I am looking forward to my banana plant producing and having heaps of very local bananas to use up.

Edits for time #2

Ingredients  

  • 3 large overripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups mashed)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I strained some old, runny yogurt through a coffee filter) - did about 1/2 cup of regular yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil or melted/cooled coconut oil (butter would be fine)
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup - eliminated
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (I did half-half white-wheat flour and ... next time all wheat) - did 1/2 cup buckwheat flour; rest whole wheat
  • 1 cup walnut halves (toasted and coarsely chopped) - (I used raw pecans and next time better toasted for sure)

Instructions 

Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners, or lightly grease with nonstick spray. (I used parchment liners for the first time and wow was that great.  They always seemed an unnecessary indulgence but I got some on cheap sale and I always want to use those now.)  Mash bananas in the bottom of a large bowl until mostly smooth. Whisk in the egg, and then the yogurt and oil. Whisk in the brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon over the top, and then stir until combined. Gently stir in the flour until barely combined, and then fold in the walnuts.
 Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup nearly to the top. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the muffins spring back lightly when touched in the center.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment