Sunday, September 13, 2020

vegetarianish

 I've been noticing for awhile that meat is less than appealing to me.  Especially in modern-day America, what do we really have?  Chicken, beef, pork?  Pork upsets my digestion if I do more than a bit of seasoning with it, and chicken is getting there.  I kind of force myself to eat it because I want to get the protein, but I don't enjoy it.  Beef is ... ok, and I like things like ground beef in chili and such.  But ... meh.  I do eat a fair amount of salmon because it's local and I can tell my brain works better with it.  And I've been on a bit of a cheese jag, and of course yogurt is always central to my diet, but I'm not a fan of the milk industry and I can't get local humane dairy.  I cannot eat eggs on their own (fried, scrambled, etc.) unless I want some raving diarrhea (they're still fine mixed into baked goods, thankfully).  I currently have a chicken carcass simmering to can up some broth and it got me thinking ... as much as I love chicken broth, could I make a vegetable broth that I love as much?  Like with dried mushrooms and such? 

What has been exciting to me for years is vegetables.  While a typical American supermarket produce department isn't often that exciting , farmers markets goods are much more so.  I'm eating pea shoots today for lunch for the first time thanks to a local farmer.  And what I can grow delights as well.  And there are sometimes interesting things that come through a produce department that I have to keep an eye for.  I've also found a pretty good source for things like beans and nuts, which were harder to get in my last location.  And there's an Asian market I need to go check out.  

While when younger I was vegetarianish, something I've chafed against is the rigidness of it and how demanding people can be about it.  I absolutely refuse expensive substitutes, believing that a vegetarian diet can provide more interest than a meat-focused one so why substitute for something inferior?  

Simultaneously, I've been finding processed foods repulsive (they've never been a big part of my life, and now I'm especially eschewing them), and kicking sugar is a very good plan for me. And more of my friends are going "plant-based" in an enthusiastic manner.  Some for reasons like becoming friends with a pig, others as a lifesaving measure with health issues.  I read an interesting article recently about how veganism is more popular among African-Americans, and that tracks with my friends and I'm interested in this "vegan soul food" and such for good ideas.  

So, this is no manifesto or oath to live with no animal products.  It's just a recognition that if I'd rather eat white beans instead of chicken, that I should just eat the damn white beans.  And maybe try some other things, like vegetable broth.  

Back from decades ago when vegetarianish, I quite liked a lentil shepherd's pie I used to make, probably similar to this.

A good reminder of black bean and sweet potato burritos (good for breakfasts, something I struggle with). 

Sweet potato-millet pancakes sound great. As does this sweet potato breakfast bowl with savory granola. Savory turmeric chickpea oats?  Hm

Stoked to make this baked oatmeal with a too-sour apple and blueberries about to turn.

Vegetarian posole?  Why not!  While the homemade chicken broth is a great, the chicken is my least favorite part, and I don't even consider pork.  Why not use beans?

Watching Ask the Doctor and they were making lentil burgers with potato so I found this Aussie recipe that looks tasty.  Another option for lentil patties.  Some whole wheat buns to go with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment