Thursday, January 23, 2020

moros y cristianos

Black beans and rice, so very nice!  I like the sentiment of Moors and Christians living together in harmony, and I've long liked rice and beans.  This is one of my favorite parts of Cuban meals. I rarely eat it these days because rice seems to be a food that just makes me hungry again soon, but I have a last-minute potluck and no desire to buy anything.  So, moros y cristianos it is.  This recipe looks good (with modifications):

Ingredients
-1 T olive oil
-1 small onion finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
-1/2 green bell pepper (I'll put in 1 small yellow pepper)
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp Goya Adobo with pepper (I don't have, so using salt, pepper, a splash of turmeric)
-1/2 tsp sugar
-1 tsp oregano (scant)
-salt and pepper
-1 can black beans (I like the ratio better with 1.5-2 cans)
-water or broth
-1 bay leaf
-1 cup white rice (dry)
-1 tsp white vinegar

Directions
Heat oil, cook onion & bell pepper until soft.  Add garlic, sugar, Adobo, oregano, salt, pepper, and cook about another  minute, until fragrant.

Drain beans with liquid into measuring cup; add liquid to 2 cups (note: if I drain 2 jars of homecanned black beans and then add 1 jar of homecanned stock, it comes to a bit more than 2 cups, so I add a bit more rice, and that makes 2 jars of black beans work out great).  Add liquid and bay leaf to pot.  Bring to a boil.

Stir in black beans and rice, bring to boil.  Simmer, covered, about 25 minutes until rice absorbs water.  Stir in vinegar.  Remove rice from heat and let it sit about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment