Sunday, August 11, 2019

chard and potatoes

My amazing and wonderful local farmers one week swapped out the lettuce in the box (because I had too much from my own garden) for chard (and because she is so considerate, she even noted that the stems are good for fermenting, which I'll also do).  Normally I always go for the rainbow chard, loving the bright colors.  This was the white one and ... it sat in my fridge for more than three weeks, but because the produce quality is so good it could have stayed longer but my fridge started freezing things so ... use it up. 

I came upon this recipe in several iterations for the Croatian dish blitva, which is chard and potatoes.  This is the version that I used, and ... the oil was too much for me.  It splattered and was kind of scary and makes me remember that I hardly ever use too much oil.  I think it would be ok with less oil.  It would be good with butter because what isn't?  Rancid sunflower oil would take me back to my time in Russia. 

Other than the averted grease fire, this is really good.  I put juice of half a lemon in it and I think some vinegar would be fine.  I love the potatoes and dark greens together, and the garlickyness of it takes it to the next level.  YUM.

Yield: serves 4-6 (as a side - as a main, probably 2-3 meals worth)

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 13 cup olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 lb. Swiss chard, tough stems removed, tender stems and leaves torn into 2″ pieces 

Instructions

Boil potatoes in a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water until tender, 5–7 minutes; drain and set aside.

Add oil to saucepan; place over medium-high heat.

Add garlic; cook until soft, 1–2 minutes.

Add potatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5–7 minutes.

Stir in Swiss chard; cook until wilted, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment