Tuesday, January 22, 2019

canning beans

So, a month or two ago, I bought a small electric pressure canner (a Carey or Chard). It was on sale and I can't pressure can on my stovetop (it's flat-top and temperature doesn't stay constant, plus I already cracked it so can't stress it more).  I bought it for a few reasons, including that I can can many leftovers.  Make a big pot of red beans and rice?  Eat a bit and can the rest.  Meatloaf.  That sort of thing.  It's pretty great. 

But also, because I want to can beans.  Because I prefer glass to metal, and the quality of the beans that I can buy, and no salt.  I want to control my food, and it's considerably less expensive than buying canned. 

I cooked some white beans and canned them, and they turned to mush.  Black beans were somewhat better. 

But then I discovered: I can can uncooked beans!  I just rinse and sort them, then put about 1/2 cup in a pint jar and fill up with water (leaving appropriate headspace), and can for 75 minutes pints, 90 quarts.  (I do pints.  Though maybe if I were really into making hummus I'd do garbanzos in quarts.) 

So, for the garbanzos that my friend sent me when I'd requested soybeans - they are right now in the canner. 

I'm thrilled!  My top three beans are garbanzos, black beans, and white beans.  I'll keep a stash on hand for easy tossing into food. 

I use Tattler lids which are a bit more fussy than the "regular" Ball or Kerr lids, but they are reusable many times.  In the event a lid doesn't seal, I put the jar into the fridge to use up quickly, or the freezer for longer storage.  I rotate through canned goods pretty quickly, but I just didn't have the freezer space to keep storing broth and beans and so many other things like that.  So, I'm stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment