Sunday, December 19, 2010

chili

I've been really struggling to find my groove with food here in Liberia - it's hard to shop, etc. Non-Liberian food is available at supermarkets, but expensive (cream cheese for $9) and hit-or-miss. Even things regularly stocked, there's no guarantee it will be there. Liberian food is sold in markets, but none seem to be walking distance from me or I can't find them. It takes knowledge that I don't yet have and time to prepare that I definitely don't have.

So, I eat a lot of fake Pringles and cheap Turkish cookies. A lot. Too many dinners.

Chili is now added to my repertoire. Note to self: if I'm carrying the bags of cans home, they're heavy.

******
Saute:
onion (4 small Liberian ones)
garlic (4 cloves)
3/4# ground beef (even the cows are skinny here: that was some lean beef)

Find a can opener (or a knife, or whatever works):
2-3 cans beans (or cook up a bag of black beans)
1 small can tomato sauce
1 large can peeled canned tomatoes (chop if whole)
1 1/2 T cumin (but I am a cumin freak)
1 tsp paprika*
1 tsp cayenne pepper*
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Add the beans & tomatoes & spices to the beef & onions/garlic and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes (longer is better).

I like to eat it on rice or with cornbread.

(*Or if have chili powder, use 1 1/2 Tbsp in lieu of paprika and cayenne pepper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment