Wednesday, September 2, 2009

posole

There are many smells that make me very happy - often I cannot associate a particular memory to them, but they activate something.

Hominy is one of those things. Yummmmminy!

Here is the posole I'm just beginning and my plans for tomorrow (guided by the recipe here and on the label of the hominy "Los Chileros de nuevo mexico "white corn posole").

Makes 3-4 servings (but not for hugely hungry people).

*hominy [you can use canned]. I got dried hominy in the Mexican section of Whole Foods (next time: to a Mexican grocery store where I'm sure it will be cheaper - I was just hoping to find organic, but I didn't). I just put a cup in to soak in water in a non-reactive pan (a crockpot, actually) overnight, making sure there's enough water {I read 5 cups to 1 c hominy}. Tomorrow I'll cook it for a couple of hours on high alone (stock would be good, but I'll probably use water because it's cheaper), and then I'll add in the other ingredients to slow simmer for full flavors.

When it's pretty done, toss in:

*pork or beef - I used pork loin, chopped into pieces (almost half a pound)
*onion (1/2 a large)
*garlic (maybe 3-4 cloves)
*2 jalapenos, deseeded and chopped (I have in my garden ... otherwise I would probably use dried hot chili pods)
*jar anaheims diced
*can diced tomatoes
*2 tsp cumin
*1 tsp oregano dried
*fresh oregano sprig
*some beef bouillon
*epazote if you have it

Slow simmer in the crockpot for a few hours. Add cilantro (or papalo), sliced/shredded white cabbage, white onion, radishes, and sour cream/yogurt/cheese to serve. Lime on the side.

****
I like food like this, that takes at least a day to make, for a few reasons. It tastes better - richer and more flavorful without unhealthy things added. It tastes like real food. It's healthier (because I'm not going raw foods). And, it's a lot easier because the work is broken up.

Hominy is corn that is nixtamalized, which means treated with lye (a base). This process makes the corn's nutrients digestible. Ah, those ancient Mayans, Cherokees, et al were sure smart. It's what grits are made from.

If I'm up to it, I'll make these cornmeal biscuits to accompany the posole (freezing most of them and substituting yogurt for the sour cream - because they'll go good with various bean dishes). i read here that I should add 1 tsp of baking soda for every cup of yogurt substituted for sour cream.

***
NOTES: it tasted a little watery. Stock would be good, but then soak the hominy in the refrigerator overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment